Written by Emma Smart & Directed by Stefan Roseen
Four teenagers break into a secluded, likely-condemned, definitely-haunted house in the woods. An evening of proverbial secret sharing and scare tactics quickly escalates into a frightening, supernatural game. Because the house really isn’t abandoned at all—its tenant is one of the most ancient witches in all time, and she’s been calling this game for a lot longer than her guests. The prize? Walking away with their lives.
Written by Impostor Emma Smart and brought to its taloned feet by a team of visionaries, The House of Baba Yaga plunges—or, rather, skyrockets—its characters and audience into the belly of a larger-than-life funhouse. This contemporary take on an age-old fable will challenge expectations, beliefs, relationships, and the pitfalls of wielding power and agency. Consider the door open.
We at The Impostors Theatre Company have been vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. We encourage all artists to receive their vaccine before auditioning. All unvaccinated artists will be required to wear a mask upon check-in. After check-in you will be allowed to remove your mask prior to entering the audition room.
Audition & Callback Dates:
- Audition: Saturday, July 31: 10:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Callback: Sunday, August 1: 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. (Actor must be available for part of one of the callback time slots. Your callback time preference will be asked at auditions. Time slots will be 1:10 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.; 2:40 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.; 4:10 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
Please submit your headshot, resume, and a desired* audition slot between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Baba Yaga (YOUR NAME)”
*We will try our utmost to fit you in closest to the time slot you request. However, there is no guarantee.
Auditions and Callbacks will be held at: The Edge Theater Off Broadway, 1133 W Catalpa Ave, Chicago, IL 60640
Material to Prepare:
Please bring a printed copy of your headshot and resume. Please prepare a 2-3 minute monologue of your choice. Please try to incorporate as much movement as possible into your audition
Rehearsals: Monday, September 20 - Friday, October 22 (Mon-Fri evenings)
Tech: Monday, October 25 - Wednesday, November 3 (Details provided at auditions. Must be available.)
Performances: November 4 - November 20 (Pick-up on Wed, Performance Thurs-Sun)
Rehearsals will be held at: The Edge Theater, 5451 North Broadway, Chicago, IL 60640.
Tech & Performances will be held at: City Lit Theatre, 1020 W Bryn Mawr Ave, Chicago, IL 60660
The Impostors Theatre Company has a desire to work with all kinds of artists. We encourage people of all backgrounds, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, ethnicities, disabilities, and religions to submit for consideration.
- BABA YAGA (20’s/30’s, female identifying, race non-specific) An ancient witch with an unlimited amount of tricks up her sleeve and a limited amount of patience. Equal parts terrifying and hilarious. Deliciously unpredictable. The demon drama teacher from your high school.
- PIPER (20’s-early 30’s, female identifying, race non-specific) She is the unassuming, genuinely popular girl at school, and she’s the most experienced among her friends. Self-assured and harmonious from the outside, Piper is crossing the threshold into a complicated dwelling of desire and uncertainty. Nominated for homecoming queen two years in a row at your high school.
- FRED (20’s-early 30’s, female identifying, race non-specific) Her soft-spoken nature only amplifies her confusion and anger. Fred is a tormented wanderer navigating her own demons and questions of identity alongside her friends. The assistant editor of your high school’s underground newspaper.
- WILLOW (20’s-early 30’s, female identifying, race non-specific) For such a worrier, she sure does love true crime stories. Willow lives in a perpetual state of anxiety tempered by a sharp wit, cleverness, and just a bit of eccentricity. Played first chair clarinet in your high school band class.
- URSULA (20’s-early 30’s, female identifying, race non-specific) She is frank, fierce, and foul-mouthed. Unapologetically herself, Ursula is a hard candy with a bite. She’s sharp but loyal to those who’ve taken the time to look past her tough exterior. Definitely cut class to get her cartilage pierced for the third time.
- THE SPIRITS OF THE HOUSE [THE COVEN] (4 actors, 20’s/30’s, female identifying, race non-specific) The souls of the previous Baba Yagas of the Haus. They assist the Haus and Baba Yaga with their devious games. The Haus personified. Actors who relish storytelling through movement, trickery, and donning various guises are encouraged to audition.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com