Producing works that center on the queer experience
PrideArts will be presenting the Chicago premiere of the hilarious romantic musical Gay Card. Written by NYU Tisch graduates Ryan Korell (music) and Jonathan Keebler (book/lyrics), this is the heartwarming story of Logan, a newly-out college freshman trying to determine where he fits in, with help from his long-time friend Melanie, his love-interest Graham, and various friends and bloggers. Gay Card will be directed by PrideArts’ Artistic Director Jay Espano. As Music Director, Robert Ollis will conduct a five-piece band, with 21 lively songs blending pop, rock and musical theatre styles.
Actors of any age may play the roles, but they must pass for college students. As described by Uproar Theatrics, the key characters are:
- Logan – enthusiastic, awkward and obsessive, looking to move past his loser high-school days and have an awesome college life. His first big song is “What It Feels Like to Belong”.
- Melanie – Logan’s best friend since middle school. Logical and direct, yet a warm over-achiever.
- Graham – Logan’s eventual love interest. Opinionated, easy-presence, but with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.
- Danielle – R.A. of Diversity House dorm. A tell-it-like-is diva who likes to party and hates to let people see beyond her surface.
- Justin – An easy-going-straight guy with an interest in learning about gender and sexuality. Melanie’s eventual love interest.
- July – a lesbian who practices new age spirituality.
- Cory– an intensely sexual bisexual guy.
- Blog Trio – a mixed trio of singer/actors who personify the Gay Card Blog, a guide to being gay in college.
- Ensemble – two persons who play a variety of roles (students, partiers, pride paraders, members of different gay clubs and styles.) Ensemble members will also understudy certain lead roles.
We are currently accepting video auditions only. Persons of all ethnicities, gender identities and disabilities are welcome. Please record two songs (or portions of songs) that best feature your vocal range. Send the video link (YouTube, Vimeo, or the platform of your choice) along with your resume, headshot and pronouns to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include Gay Card in the subject line of your email. Please submit your materials by May 31st.
Callbacks will be in person beginning on Saturday June 10th and continuing on Sunday June 11th, 2023 at the PrideArts Center, 4139 N. Broadway. Rehearsals will start on July 10, 2023. Previews occur Thursday August 24 through Sunday August 27, 2023. Opening night is on Monday August 28, 2023 and closing will be on Sunday September 24, 2023. Performances are Thursdays through Saturdays at 730pm and Sundays at 3pm. There will also be one Wednesday performance on September 20, 2023.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com