Oil Lamp Theater is holding auditions for its production of “A Kind of Love Story” by Jenelle Riley. The production will run July 25 to September 8, 2019 with rehearsals starting mid June. Keith Gerth, Artistic and Executive Director of Oil Lamp Theater, will direct this production.
These auditions will be held Monday, April 8 from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. Callbacks will be on Monday, April 15 from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. They will be held at the theater, 1723 Glenview Road, Glenview, IL.
Mark and Ally are made for each other, but they just can’t seem to find one another. A Kind of Love Story tells their love story over several chapters, overseen by an omniscient narrator who tells us all about the two. Mark is stuck on the girl that got away; his best friend’s wife Diane. Ally can’t seem to shake her terrible boyfriend, Max, who won’t commit. At several points, we think Mark and Ally will connect – Mark’s co-worker Lucy suggests he go out with her roommate (who we learn later is Ally). The two connect online, but their planned meeting is thwarted. Though they never speak, a chance encounter in a movie theater urges them both to take charge of their lives… and might finally lead them to one another.
We are casting all roles. Open ethnicity and age range.
• Mark: Male lead. A born romantic, he’s the nice guy who never gets the girl; kind, generous, intelligent.
• Ally: Female Lead. Unlucky in love, put-upon, she is smart, funny and good-natured.
• Narrator: male or female, all knowing.
• Lucy: Ally’s roommate; smarter than she lets on, charismatic but immature.
• Max: Ally’s awful boyfriend; turns on the charm when he needs to, but usually boorish. May double as another minor character.
• Bob: Mark’s best friend; generally a good guy, he’s been married to Diane for 10 years and is feeling restless. May double as another minor character.
• Diane: Bob’s patient wife, Mark’s dream girl; the classic girl next door.
• Casey/Female Ensemble: Famous lesbian activist and writer; charismatic. Also plays additional parts.
• Kelly/Female Ensemble: Ally’s no-nonsense best friend and the only woman who terrifies Max. Also plays additional parts.
• Male Ensemble: Plays a variety of characters, from Mark’s father to various guys Ally flirts with.
The production contains no sexual content, nudity or violence. We will work with actors on costumes. Anything actors choose to provide that fit with the overall costume design concept are welcomed. The theater will supply any additional wardrobe. Actors are invited to assist with strike, but it is not required.
If you are interested and available for this production, please submit your headshot and resume to Stephen Smith, Associate Artistic Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are invited to audition we would like to see a 60 to 90 second comedic monologue and ask that you bring a hard copy of your headshot and resume. We are not taking video submissions at this time.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com